Managing a family home is no easy matter and regardless of how your DIY skills might be, there are times when you need some professional help. Rather than chancing your arm and attempting to make a repair, you are advised to call in a tradesman and with that in mind, here are a few of the essential services that a homeowner might need in a hurry.
- Electrician – Even if you are fairly knowledgeable about electricity, it is still wise to call in a qualified electrician when you have power issues. Whether a power outage, a blown fuse or other issues, a local electrician can be with you within a very short time. It might surprise you to learn that your local electrician can supply and install security alarm and CCTV systems, as well as adding power socket points and additional lighting, indoor or outdoor. Every home should have a safety cut switch that automatically shuts off the power when a short circuit occurs; if this switch trips, turn it on again and if it trips once more, then you need an electrician.
- Emergency plumber – There will likely be times when you need the services of an emergency plumber in the Eastern Suburbs; pre-source the number for future reference and whenever you have plumbing issues, you have the number at hand. Some plumbers can deal with drain blockages, otherwise you can call a local drain unblocking specialist, who has all the gear to unblock anything. If you do call out a plumber, ask him to have a quick inspection while he is there; most will do this free of charge. Keep an eye out for damp patches on the walls and ceilings, as water pipes are under pressure and a leak can spring at any time.
- Emergency locksmith – We hope you never undergo the embarrassment of locking yourself out of your home, but if you do, rather than breaking a window, it is cheaper to ask your local locksmith to gain access. He can also install video surveillance systems and replace or repair defective locks and if you are ever the victim of a burglary, the locksmith can change all locks for additional peace of mind. Click here for information about how you might use artificial grass in a domestic setting. If you lock yourself out of your car, the locksmith can gain access and cut you a spare key while he’s there. Many motorists have a small magnetic box that holds a spare ignition key under the car.
- Roofing contractor – The roof is the most important component of every structure, providing essential shelter from the elements and without regular inspections, you can expect to have issues at some time or other. Most property owners have the roof inspected on an annual basis, just prior to the winter months and any issues can be promptly sorted before they become major. Guttering should be cleaned out on a regular basis and a blockage can send access rainwater running down the exterior walls, which is something to avoid at all costs. If sections of guttering have seen better days, they can compromise the entire system and should be replaced. The roof inspection would include checking for missing or dislodged tiles and inspecting both soffit and fascia boards. Any signs of leaks should be immediately investigated, as water can cause a lot of damage
- Cable/satellite TV engineer – This guy can also handle telecommunications and set your home up for high-speed wireless Wi-Fi. If you are looking to acquire a hi-end home theatre system, this is your man and any TV reception issues are also his domain. Some engineers charge for outside regular office hours, so do check before you call him out on a Sunday evening. A snowy picture can be caused by strong wind moving the satellite dish slightly and the engineer has a device to align the dish very accurately. Whatever the reception issue, the cable TV engineer has all the solutions and if you want to buy and stereo hardware, you won’t find a cheaper dealer than the satellite TV engineer.
If you are new to property management, we recommend that you pre-source all of the above services and when the need arises, you have the number in your smartphone. Repairs and maintenance are not things you can afford to overlook, as you need to protect your investment, while also looking to carry out a few improvements here and there. Wherever you happen to live in Australia, there will be essential property management services available from local businesses and when you use them, you are supporting your local community.