Signs of Faulty Electrical Wiring in Your Home

The wiring in your home plays a very important role in the overall electrical system. Without it, getting power to the various different outlets and appliances would simply not be possible. While this wiring may normally be in good shape, it is possible for it to become faulty.

Electrical malfunctions like faulty wiring can be incredibly dangerous and lead to fires, shocks, and many other problems. As a result, it is a good idea to know the signs of faulty wiring, so you can get it dealt with before it becomes a major issue.

Of course, because of the potential danger here, it is always good to enlist the help of experts like Ewing Electric Co. or another trusted company in your area to handle the repairs and inspect things to ensure everything is okay.

Without any further ado, here are some of the signs that you could have faulty wiring in your home.

Your Outlets Feel Hot

While certain devices might produce heat once they are plugged in, no outlet that powers a device like this should become hot. Outlets can get a little warm due to electrical current, but if it is hot to the touch, it is a sign of a bigger problem. This could be due to incorrect wiring, wires becoming damaged, or wiring that has come loose.

Vibrations on the outlet cover that you can feel can also be signs something is going wrong. It is best to call in an expert immediately and consider flipping the breaker for that circuit to ensure no further damage can be done. If your cords are getting hot, that’s another sign that there could be an electrical issue, and could warrant a call to an expert.

You are Smelling Strange Odors

Your nose can be an important tool to use when it comes to identifying electrical issues. If you smell a smokey or burning scent coming from an outlet or your electrical panel, it is cause for concern. This could mean fire damage has begun to occur, or the wires are becoming damaged or burnt. Always trust your nose, and reach out to a professional immediately before more damage can be done.

There are many other scents that can be signs of danger in your home, so always trust your nose. If you smell something a little off and can’t identify where it is coming from, never hesitate to call an electrician or other professional to inspect the home.

Your Lights are Dimming, Buzzing, or Flickering

When your lights are on in your home, they should not be dimming or flickering on their own. If they do, it is often a sign of bad wiring or an issue with the circuit. Too many devices on a circuit could cause this, but it often has something to do with faulty or outdated wiring.

In a similar vein, if you hear a buzzing sound from your lights, it could be a sign that the wiring is experiencing issues. Also, because lights use so little power generally, a flickering issue likely isn’t a problem with the fixture, but an issue somewhere along that particular circuit.

If you’re not sure if the issue is the wiring or a problem with the circuit, an experienced electrician should be able to come out and not only identify the issue but help you fix it.

In conclusion, these are some of the signs that your home could have faulty wiring or another electrical issue.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.