A water heater is a household appliance used to heat water. Most water heaters use natural gas, propane, or electricity to heat water. A water heater can last anywhere from 10 to 15 years. However, if there is a leak, it can cause the unit to fail prematurely.
Water leaks are dangerous because they can cause extensive damage to your home. A leak can also lead to mold growth, which can be hazardous for your health. In this case, it is crucial to call a professional plumber for water heater leak repair.
Types of Water Heater Leaks
There Are 4 Types of Water Leaks:
● Leak From The Tank: This type of leak can happen because of a crack in the tank. The tank replacement is needed if this type of leak occurs.
● Leak From The Valves: The valve replacement is needed if this leak occurs.
● Leak From The Pipes: This type of leak is caused by a broken or cracked pipe, and they need immediate replacement.
● Leak From The Thermostat: This type of leak is caused by a defective thermostat. The thermostat replacement is needed if this type of leak occurs.
Signs Your Water Heater Is Leaking
When a water heater is leaking, there will usually be some signs alerting you. Some of the most common signs of a water leak are:
● Water pooling around the water heater
● Water dripping from the water heater
● Water coming out from the water heater
If you detect any of these signs, it is crucial to call a professional plumber to repair the leak.
What To Expect When Repairing A Water Heater Leak
Once you have called a professional plumber for water heater leak repair, they will likely do the following:
● Shut off the water supply to the heater
● Disconnect the power supply to the water heater
● Drain the tank of all the water
● Remove the water heater from your home
● Take the water heater to a repair shop
● Repair the leak
● Reinstall the water heater in your home
● Test the water heater
Once the repair is complete, the plumber will likely ask you to sign a waiver form. This form releases the plumber from liability if the repair causes any damage.
Why You Should Call A Professional To Mend The Problem And Not Do DIY
Problems with water heaters should be fixed by a professional. Attempting to fix the issue yourself can be dangerous and can cause further damage. A professional plumber will have the proper tools and knowledge to fix the leak properly. They will also ensure that the problem is fixed permanently, which is not always guaranteed if you try to fix it yourself.
How Much Does It Cost to Fix a Leaky Water Heater?
The cost to repair a leaky water heater will vary depending on the severity of the leak. It is most reasonable to contact a professional plumber to estimate the repair. However, you can expect to pay at least $200 for the repair, if not more.
What To Do If There’s No Hot Water In Your Home?
When there is no hot water in your home, you should first check the thermostat. The water heater will not produce any hot water if the thermostat is set to cool or off.
You should also ensure that the breaker has not been turned off. If both of these things are checked, and you are still not getting any hot water, the water heater is likely a problem. In this case, you should contact an experienced plumber to repair the leak.
Preventative Measures For Avoiding Future Leaks
There are a few things you can do to help prevent future leaks from your water heater. Some of these things include:
● Checking the water heater for any indications of wear and tear
● Repairing any cracks or broken pipes immediately
● Keeping the area around the water heater clear of debris and clutter
● Ensuring that the thermostat is working properly
● Replacing the water heater if it is nearing the end of its lifespan
How To Find A Qualified Plumber That Will Charge An Honest Rate For Their Work?
When looking for a qualified plumber to repair the leak in your water heater, it is crucial to find someone honest and who will charge a fair rate for their work. You can ask family and friends for referrals or do a Google search for plumbers in your area. It is also recommended that you get quotes from multiple plumbers before deciding. It will help ensure that you get the best price for the repair.